Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Songs That Perfectly Match Books!

This post is inspired by a post I read by Jillian @ Jillian's Books!  Take a look at hers first!  She was really spot on with her choices.  I really love the concept and had me thinking of multiple times I was reading a book and I was either listening to music or it immediately reminded me of a song that completely matched the book.  This is a lot longer than I originally anticipated, but I felt like this post wouldn't be complete without everything in my mind put in this post.  I know for a fact I have to be missing some songs or something, but anyway, here we go!  Sorry Jillian for taking your layout here, but you did an awesome job, I couldn't imagine it a better way.

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan

Song: Keep Me Alive by Weatherstar

Why it Matches With the Book:  It really just captures a lot of the themes in the book series.  Percy Jackson, as a demigod, literally is just trying to survive, regardless of the obstacles he has to face.  It also kinda highlights his growth throughout the series.  Not to mention, this is a perfect Percabeth song as well.  He and Annabeth make a good team, they rely each other, and they're literally in the adventure together.  

"My eyes they don't see straight, when my world feel down like an earthquake, and I can't stand up cause my knees shake.  Somebody just keep me alive."






City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Song:  Almost is Never Enough by Ariana Grande feat. Nathan Sykes

Why it Matches With the Book:  Not only is this song on the City of Bones soundtrack, but it fits too perfectly with Clary and Jace's relationship.  Just the fact that they want to be together and it's difficult to deny it considering the circumstances. 

 "We can deny it as much as we want, but in time our feelings will show."








The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1)The Summer I Turned Pretty series by Jenny Han

Song:  Mary's Song (Oh My My My) by Taylor Swift

Why it Matches With the Book:  I love the whole "growing up aspect" of the song and how you see the transgression of the boy and the girl from childhood to adolescence to adulthood & that's exactly what we see in this book between Belly and the two brothers, Conrad and Jeremiah.  I have a specific boy in mind, but for those who haven't read the book yet, I won't spoil you.  

"Well I was sixteen when suddenly, I wasn't that little girl you used to see but your eyes still shined like pretty lights."




The Book ThiefThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Song:  Children at Play by Kevin Kern

Why it Matches With the Book:  I was listening to the CD "The Best of Kevin Kern" while reading this book for the first time.  This is a piano piece that really just makes me sad, speaks to my heart and gives me the nostalgic feelings of wanting to feel as free as a child.  I listened to this song over and over again especially reading the last few chapters, and I started crying, remembering how much Liesel has grown and how much she has changed throughout the book.  Not to mention Rudy as well, her best friend.  I'm sure this song will touch your heart and make you cry as it did to me.  






The Selection (The Selection, #1)The Selection by Kiera Cass

Song:  Change Your Mind by Boyce Avenue

Why it Matches With the Book:  This is literally a summary (a word for word summary) of The Selection and how Maxon didn't give up trying to change America's mind.  He wanted her to give him a chance and see where things would go.  Maxon didn't want America to go just yet.

"Oh you've got me down on my knees.  Oh and in my mind I can see, how perfect everything could be.  But you won't give us a try.  If I could change your mind, how would you want me?"






The One (The Selection, #3)The One by Kiera Cass

Song:  All About Us by He is We feat. Owl City

Why it Matches With the Book:  There's one scene in this book that made me think directly of this song and it literally just made my heart so much because of the love felt between the two characters and their realization that they truly love each other.  One of my favorite scenes of this book by far and one of my favorite songs for sure.  You can expect this song to be played sometime at my wedding (whenever I get married).

"Cause lovers dance when they're feeling in love, spotlight's shining, it's all about us.  And every heart in the room will melt.  This is a feeling I've never felt.  But, it's all about us."





Allegiant (Divergent, #3)Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Song:  Company by Rickie Lee Jones

Why It Matches With the Book:  First of all, if you haven't read Allegiant yet, go ahead and skip this one.  This is for your own good.  Are you gone yet?  Okay.  So, typically I wouldn't pair a song like this with this book.  It's not even an action packed song.  It's actually a slower sadder song.  Right after I finished this book, it was 2 am, the day of the Allegiant Tour.  I couldn't fall asleep for 2 more hours cause I was crying & so I turned on my 8tracks radio and this song came on.  It reminded me too much of the book.  Especially the last 40 or so pages.  Well, here.

"I'll see you in another life now, baby.  I'll free you in my dreams.  But when I reach across the galaxy, I will miss your company."




Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Song:  Turning Page by Sleeping At Last

Why It Matches With the Book:  The pace of the song and its words I feel take you to back to the series and how much all these characters have grown plus the extent of their love for each other.  It perfectly matches that essence and like Will's words, the lyrics are poetry.

"I've waited a hundred years.  I'd wait a million more for you.  Nothing prepared me for, what the privilege of being yours would do."







If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)If I Stay series by Gayle Forman

Song:  Older by Birdy

Why It Matches With the Book:   Mixed with Gayle's writing, this song is absolutely perfect.  It reflects Mia and Adam's journey throughout the duology and their love for each other as well as the obstacles along the way.  Regardless of everything that has happened, and even while apart, they still love each other, but sometimes you can control what happens...it just does and there's nothing you can do but be strong.

"And I wish, that we were strangers, strange enough to go unnoticed from this crowd.  And I wish that we were closer, close enough for me to hold you when your lonely nights become too long to bear."

Let me know if you agree or disagree or just any thoughts you have!  I'd love to hear it.

1 comments:

Mal said...

'THE SUMMER I TURNED PRETTY' SONG CHOICE IS SO ON POINT THAT IT STABBED ME.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio